Sunday, October 18, 2009

Introducing Amy Juhasz, Chicy Creations

Want to get to know us Amys better?
Here's the first in a series of getting-to-know-you interviews.
First up: Amy Juhasz of Chicy Creations


How long have you been an artist, and how long have you been active as a business artist?
I have loved sewing and crafting since I was about 10. My grandma taught me how to make a quilt and from there I was always wanting to sew things. After I had my daughter in 2007, I started making hair bows, dresses, onesies, burp cloths, and other sewn goodies. In early 2008 I started thinking about selling some handmade items, and opened an etsy shop in April and started selling hair bows. Over the last year and a half I've added headbands, beanies, tutus, onesies and some day hope to work up the courage to add a few dresses here and there.

Are you an artist full time?
My first and most important job is being a full time mom. My daughter will be 2 Christmas Eve and we are expecting baby girl #2 in early March. She keeps me busy, but during nap time and at night I craft away, creating new items and filling orders.


Who or what inspires you to create?
My daughter, I'm always finding new ribbon to match new outfits of hers and whenever I create something I really love, I pass it on to my customers.

Describe your work space.
We have a spare room I'm lucky enough to use for working in. Nothing fancy, a couple desks and shelves.

What kinds of things do you like to do in your free time?
These days it feels like I don't have much free time, but when I do, I love to spend it with my family. In the spring we love a good hike. We also love to travel, short or long trips, we love it! I am also perfectly content spending an evening at home with a pizza and movie with my hubby and daughter on the couch. I do love to read, but find it hard to finish a book anymore!


What is your favorite handmade item, made by you or given to you?
Oh this is a tough one! I have so many things I love, I'm a sucker for handmade...but first thing that comes to mind is a crochet beanie I ordered from AvaLoos on Etsy for my daughter. I love it. I'm going to have to order one for me and the next little one I think!

What does being an Amy mean to you?
Growing up I had a love/hate relationship with my name. There weren't many other girls named Amy at my school...I also felt it was too boring and short, I never really appreciated that it wasn't all that common in my area. Since then I've "embraced" it and couldn't picture myself being anyone other than Amy.

Shop address: www.chicycreations.etsy.com
Blog address: www.chicy-creations.blogspot.com
Twitter: @chicycreations
Email: chicy-creations@hotmail.com

1 comment:

hautenature* said...

Hi Amy, I chose you as the winner for the Snug Organic giveaway on my blog HauteNature. Could you please click on the contact button at the top of the right column on my blog and send me an email so that I know an address to ship it to. Congrats. Holly ;)