Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Introducing Amy Roundtree, SewArtsy

Want to get to know us Amys better?
Here continues a series of getting-to-know-you interviews.
Next up: Amy Roundtree of SewArtsy

How long have you been an artist, and how long have you been active as a business artist?
I have been a lifelong artist, from my first coloring pages, to painting at a local studio, art classes in school, and so so many arts and crafts in the in between times up til now. I started my sewing business in 2006 after my local friends began admiring my own bags. I started just by bringing in my friends who love me, and then slowly ventured out into the world. I opened my Etsy shop in 2007, and started attending arts and craft shows to get my wares out into the public.

Are you an artist full time?
I am first and foremost a full time wife and mom. My three little ones Caleb (7), Sammy (5) and Charis (2) require most of my time daily, but I steal away some evenings to work on my craft. My family is awesome, and they give me the time and support I need to keep my shop full of lovelies!

Who or what inspires you to create?
I'm inspired by completely random things, and once an idea pops in my head I try to get it down on paper. I love to make things that are happy and bright, and I'm inspired by other things and people who are happy and bright! I have tons of ideas that have never made it into physical form because I just haven't had time to work on them, but at least they are written down for the future.

Describe your work space.
I have a large space in our basement for my sewing table, drafting table, notions and supplies. Most of my fabric is stacked in a closet and on shelving units just outside the closet (I have way too much fabric!). Another shelving unit houses my notions and tools. I also keep my craft show folding table up, so I have a nice looking place to put my items once they are finished. It makes me happy to have a place at which to look over and see what I've accomplished! An enormous baby gate separates my area from the kids' play area. Otherwise we'd have big problems! When my schedule gets hectic, like when prepping for a show, I do my cutting and ironing upstairs in the kitchen and family room so my hubby and I don't miss out on watching our shows together.

What kinds of things do you like to do in your free time?
Hmmm...Little League games, soccer games, classes at the rec center, going to church with the family, getting together with my girlfriends, reading craft blogs, getting inspired by others' creations!

What is your favorite handmade item, made by you or given to you?
I have an acrylic on paper painting that I made in junior high art class. It was chosen to be shown at a regional art show for the public school system, and it was the first moment I really felt like I might actually be a good artist. It gave me the confidence I needed to step out and try my hand at other media.

What does being an Amy mean to you?
Most Amys I have met in my life have been super friendly. In fact, growing up I had two other Amys as best friends, and I wouldn't have traded them for the world! So being an Amy means to me that hopefully others find me friendly, and that if you're an Amy I haven't met yet, I'm probably going to like you!

Find SewArtsy Amy here:

1 comment:

Laura J Harrison said...

Nice write up! Are you participating the Handmade With Love Winter Giveaway? I would love to have you as a Sponsor. i can tell from this post, you LOVE what you do!
Here is a link.
http://grandma-sez-so.blogspot.com/2010/12/welcoming-sponsors-for-handmade-with.html
grandmasezso@yahoo.com