Monday, February 28, 2011

Introducing Amy Baber of AmySewsIt

Want to get to know us Amys better?
Here continues a series of getting-to-know-you interviews.
Next up: Amy Baber of amysewsit

How long have you been an artist, and how long have you been active as a business artist?
I have been sewing now for about 8 years. I only recently opened up shop on Etsy in August of 2010.

Are you an artist full time?
I am a full time wife and mother of 3 beautiful girls. I usually end up sewing after the kids have gone to bed, or on the weekend while my girls sew along side me or play outside with their daddy. :)


Who or what inspires you to create?
That one is easy! Most of the items I make are inspired by my girls. They have so much fun with this and usually make so many requests there is no way I can keep up.


Describe your work space.
My sewing space is a separate building behind our house. Half of the building houses hundreds of yards of fabric, endless notions and all of my machines. I usually have more than one project going on at once so there is often a creative mess. :) The other part of the building houses a toy box, television, couch, and a bed for those late nights.


What kinds of things do you like to do in your free time?
We spend most of our weeknights at the dance studio where me and my girls take many classes like ballet, tap, jazz, modern, hip hop, etc.


What is your favorite handmade item, made by you or given to you?

I would have to say that I am most proud of my Sonic the Hedgehog costume. I made it from scratch, and after finishing, I felt like I could make just about anything.

What does being an Amy mean to you?
Being an Amy is being unique, creative, and unstoppable. I am always happiest when I am given a challenge. I love to push myself. When doing unique requests I find that I go above and beyond what I even thought I was capable of. I love to amaze myself.

1 comment:

Aimeshad said...

Wow, look at those excellent costumes, way to sew!!!