Monday, February 21, 2011

Introducing Amy Griffin of griffin229

Want to get to know us Amys better?
Here continues a series of getting-to-know-you interviews.
Next up: Amy Griffin of griffin229

How long have you been an artist, and how long have you been active as a business artist?

I’ve been baking for as long as I can remember. My earliest memories are of baking in my grandparents’ kitchen when I could barely see over the counter.
I’ve been interested in arts and crafts ever since I was in first grade. I love cross-stitching, knitting, jewelry design, sewing, drawing, origami, and so much more.
I’ve given my baked goods and cards to family and friends for years, but I just recently joined Etsy.

Are you an artist full time?

I’d say I’m a part time artist. I wear many hats (wife, doggie mom, baker, organizer).

Who or what inspires you to create?

Everything and anything can be an inspiration (magazine ads, architecture, a collection of plants, clothing, music). I’m attracted to bold colors and interesting color combinations. There’s always something new to discover.

Describe your work space.

I have an office full of inspirational art (family photos, Disney art, and bold graphic patterns), but I have been known to work in multiple places. When baking, I’m in my gorgeous kitchen/great room complete with huge floor to ceiling windows. It’s bright and sunny and it puts me in a great mood. While working on my art and cards, I usually sit in my leopard print chaise lounge chair and watch one of my favorite movies. It’s a great way to spend an afternoon.

What kinds of things do you like to do in your free time?

--shop with my husband

--take our beagle for long walks (we can wander around for 2-3 hours at a time)

--watch movies/tv (some of my favs: How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Because I Said So, the Wedding Planner, Pirates of the Caribbean, the Big Bang Theory, Friends, and Gilmore Girls)

--take care of my huge plant collection

--daydream about vacations

What is your favorite handmade item, made by you or given to you?

I absolutely love the frozen key lime pie that my mother-in-law makes for me every year for my birthday.

What does being an Amy mean to you?

I’ve always liked my name. In K-12 I was the only Amy in my whole class and I really enjoyed that. It made me feel unique. Plus, I love writing my name. I’ve developed a crazy loopy writing style and these letters look fun together.

I use eco-friendly notecards that are tree-free (some are made from junk mail and others are embedded with wildflower seeds).

I bake with organic and all natural ingredients. I really believe in eating real food (food without the chemistry).

I was recently featured in another fun blog. Check out the review at: http://toesthattwinkle.blogspot.com/search/label/etsy

http://www.etsy.com/shop/griffin229

agriffin229@yahoo.com

No comments: